[OSM-legal-talk] import of dataset for new zealand

Stephen Gower socks-openstreetmap.org at earth.li
Wed Mar 19 10:38:42 GMT 2008

On Tue, Mar 18, 2008 at 11:19:11PM +1300, Robin Paulson wrote:

> it doesn't matter. the data is freely available for anyone to download
> from the linz.govt.nz site, or purchasable from a number of retailers
> in nz. what the person who takes it from osm, or the linz site, does
> with it is up to them. we're not responsible for their actions, we
> only have to display attribution - we occupy the same position as any
> of the other mass distributors of the data, we don't have to police
> it's use

  I don't think that's true. "We" are making the data available under
  a certain licence.  At the moment, it's CC-BY-SA, which
  theoretically does allow propogation of attribution, but getting
  away from having to attribute each individual contributer is one of
  the advantages of the proposed new licence.

  I certainly wouldn't be working at this stage on importing any data
  set that wasn't likely to be compatible with the new licence as
  proposed - which as I understand it requires attribution to the OSM
  project, but not to the individual contributers.