[OSM-legal-talk] [OSM-talk] License update

Dominic Hargreaves dom at earth.li
Tue Mar 18 19:06:29 GMT 2008

On Tue, Mar 18, 2008 at 05:38:37PM +0000, SteveC wrote:
> Richard, Andy and I just had a conference call to review where we are
> with the license.
>
> Progress is going well.
>
> We've engaged Jordan and sent off the changes we suggested to him, he
> is integrating them and will be releasing a new version.
>
> Once released he will consult with other interested parties on it and
> you will get the opportunity to do the same.
>
> This could take a little while, so we're thinking of changing the
> language of _new_ user signups to instead of releasing their work as
> CC, but as CC _or_ the ODL if the rest of the community vote on it. A
> link will be given showing that there is an ongoing license change
> discussion. Why are we thinking this? Because there are so many users
> signing up that every day it gets harder to go back and pull out data
> if a change is made. Comments on language to use etc warmly received.

I haven't been following recent OSM licence debates at all, but why not
also offer the choice of licensing contributions under the PDDL[1] also?
This does not prevent people from including such contributions in an
ODL-licensed dataset.

This would effectively supercede the
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Category:Users_whose_contributions_are_in_the_public_domain
page.