[OSM-legal-talk] Paid services from OSM

Iván Sánchez Ortega ivan at sanchezortega.es
Thu Oct 9 00:13:17 BST 2008

El Jueves, 9 de Octubre de 2008, Frederik Ramm escribió:
> Maybe the license needs some provision that says you *either* have to
> make your derived database public

-1, counterproductive.

Think DFSG, the dissident test.

> *or* provide documentation that
> explains how you created the database using publicly available tools
> from publicly available sources.

-1, redundant.

If you *just* used publicly available sources, other users can already extract
data from those sources - there is no obligation for you.

> Another thing we could do is put in a provision that says if your data
> is permanently updated, it is sufficient to provide regular snapshots to
> the public instead of the live thing.

+1, insightful.

I suggest that ODbL section 3.1 ("Licensor grants you a worldwide,
royalty-free, yadda yadda license to Use the DB") should include the
words "reasonable to the medium". That would allow parties to release the
data in such a way so their servers would not overload.

Keep in mind that (AFAIK) the ODbL is meant to be a generic copyleft license
for databases, so talking about weekly planet dumps, or even "snapshots" is
not OK.

(Note to self: stop reading slashdot that often)

Cheers,
--

¡Ultimas noticias! Microsoft anuncia EDLIN for Windows.