[OSM-legal-talk] License License License

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Mon Oct 13 09:10:07 BST 2008

Hi,

On 13.10.2008, at 04:42, Peter Miller wrote:
> No, please don't do that yet!

It was too late already ;-) but I had promised a Geman version of the
current draft for about half a year to it would not have been ok to
let them wait any longer.

> If you translate anything into German then can you translate the
> Brief that
> we have been talking about on this list?

I'll do that and of course inform them of the bits we're discussing.

> 1) Clarified the difference between automatic processing of the
> Dataset
> (which is not a Derivate Database) and adding additional
> information (which
> does).

I like what you wrote but I think it still leaves room for questions.
We should decide on where the border line is, exactly.

Suppose I am a statistics wizard. I take the planet file and run it
through any number of processing steps, using a lot of my proprietary
knowledge and experience and algorithms I have created and whatnot,
to produce interesting evaluations and nice maps suggesting, for
example, what the quality of life is in certain areas or so. I offer
these maps on my web site for anyone to use.

What part of my "internal process" I used to arrive at these maps do
I have to make public? I will most likely have created a number of
derived databases along the way, not adding factual info or
correcting OSM mistakes or so, but still I will have enriched the
data by e.g. creating all kinds of time consuming statistical
analyses on top of it. Would this database have to be published along
with my "integrated experience"?

I'm not asking about what the current license draft says, I'm asking
what we (the community) want from the user of our data in such cases.

Bye
Frederik