[OSM-legal-talk] Contact Info For Tom Hughes Regarding Public Domain Mailing List

Rob Myers rob at robmyers.org
Wed Oct 22 13:12:26 BST 2008

On Wed, Oct 22, 2008 at 12:42 PM, Joseph Gentle <josephg at gmail.com> wrote:

> Even assuming we make a complete set of maps under a share-alike
> license as you suggest, there will always be a market for companies
> like garmin to peddle their wares.

Then there is no reason to *not* use sharealike.

> People who can't or won't share
> back will license garmin's data. A PD set of data would remove
> garmin's market entirely.

It would not, as Garmin can DRM the maps, modify them (which can
include removing or swapping information as well as adding it) and
prevent them being fixed and redistributed.

Are people free to use the maps where they encounter them, or to help
others who may need changes that they can create? Not in this
scenario.

- Rob.