[OSM-legal-talk] Explicitly adding some licenses in 4.4 iii

Philipp Klaus Krause pkk at spth.de
Mon Oct 27 13:35:36 GMT 2008

One of the main problems with sharealike/copyleft is the large number of
incompatible licenses. I suggest explicitly adding some important such
licenses to 4.4 iii, so we don't lock too many other free communities
out from using OSM data.

At least the most common ones like GPLv2 or later, LGPL, GFDL and
CC-BY-SA should be added.

Use case 1:
Creating a flyer about some topic where images from wikimedia commons
are combined with a map created from OSM data. According to
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:GNU_licenses there are
1319405 GFDLed, 6127 LGPLed, 13575 GPLed and over 400000 CC-BY-SA
(different versions) images on Wikimedia commons.

Use case 2:
Using OSM in a documentary movie: Places relevant to the movie's topic
are shown on a map created from OSM data. Zoom in to a place, then
there's a movie sequence about that place, repeat for other places. For
the documentary footage placed under a CC license from archive.org's
moving image archive is used.

Philipp