[OSM-legal-talk] Explicitly adding some licenses in 4.4 iii

Philipp Klaus Krause pkk at spth.de
Tue Oct 28 19:34:38 GMT 2008

Rob Myers schrieb:
> On Mon, Oct 27, 2008 at 1:35 PM, Philipp Klaus Krause <pkk at spth.de> wrote:
>> One of the main problems with sharealike/copyleft is the large number of
>> incompatible licenses. I suggest explicitly adding some important such
>> licenses to 4.4 iii, so we don't lock too many other free communities
>> out from using OSM data.
>
> This is a problem but the licence authors are working on it.
>
>> At least the most common ones like GPLv2 or later, LGPL, GFDL and
>> CC-BY-SA should be added.
>
> This will make things worse rather than better as it will fork some
> OSM derivatives into four different incompatible streams.

I don't think this will make forks more likely. Thinking of the use
cases I mentioned I think people will improve OSM to suit their needs,
then create the flyer/movie/whatever as a derived work from both the OSM
data and something else. The flyer wouldn't make sense to somehow merge
back into OSM anyway.

Philipp