[OSM-legal-talk] Public Domain versus CC Attribution Share Alike License

Sunburned Surveyor sunburned.surveyor at gmail.com
Thu Sep 4 15:58:17 BST 2008

I seemed to have immersed myself in the depths of a healthy debate for
which I was not prepared. I don't yet have a full understanding of all
the issues, but I think some statements of Richard give a nice
summary:

"Yes, the new licence fixes 1 and 3. It also goes a long way to
defining what is permissible under 2 in such a way that is likely to
be acceptable to the largest number of people.

A public domain-style licence could of course "fix" everything, but
the community ain't gonna agree on it (see legal-talk passim ad
infinitum), and OSM is all about the art of the possible."

It seems like Joseph and some others are proponets of a putting OSM
data in the public domain. While I can understand this as the
"cleanest" or most "string free" solution, I think it may
underestimate the potential for corporate abuse. There are a lot of
people out there willing to leech of a community like OSM without
making any positive contributions. It happens in the software world a
lot.

Disclaimer: I"m one of those people who have yet to make significant
contributions to OSM, so I don't get to have an opinion yet. :]