[OSM-legal-talk] US local government data: negotiating license?

David Carmean dlc at halibut.com
Tue Sep 23 19:42:35 BST 2008

Have any of you persuaded a local (US) government to release data under a license
compatible with OSM?  I've been sent a shapefile for a network of recreational trails
by a local government association (represents nine counties).

I explained my plans on the telephone to the official who sent me the files, and she
gave me crediting info, but she did not specify that the data must in fact be credited,
nor did she specify any other terms of use in writing.

Should I call their legal department?  Or might there be a better way to guide them
into giving us what we need? :)

Thanks.