[OSM-legal-talk] Privacy and Terms

Matt Amos zerebubuth at gmail.com
Thu Jul 2 14:22:16 BST 2009

On Thu, Jul 2, 2009 at 1:20 PM, Ed Avis<eda at waniasset.com> wrote:
> As far as I can tell Wikipedia doesn't have 'terms and conditions' on
> the website, despite being equally dependent on user contributions and
> with more scope for legal risk from libel, offensive content and so
> on.

http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Terms_of_Use
http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Privacy_policy
see also the terms at the bottom of every edit box.

> There is no reason anyone should have to 'agree' to anything in order
> to browse the website and look at the map, and if they wish to upload
> data to OSM, they only need agree to license it under the correct
> terms.

i think you have misunderstood; i don't see anyone suggesting that
you'd need to explicitly agree to anything to browse the map.

if they wish to upload something, they'll need an account. when they
register for an account they will be presented with the "contributor
terms" which include licensing.

cheers,

matt