[OSM-legal-talk] signup notice

Russ Nelson russ at cloudmade.com
Tue Jun 2 01:35:04 BST 2009

On Jun 1, 2009, at 6:13 PM, Stefan Baebler wrote:

> Well, translation itself wasn't a problem, but faithfully translating
> this rather important message made me read original several times
> carefully (and noticing this problem) and then reading the translation
> again, to make sure the very same ambiguity is kept (semantic
> equivalence) while being grammatically correct.

Thanks for your care!  Ideally, translations of legal documents should
be reviewed by a lawyer, or else come with a disclaimer that says
"this is not an official translation; you should figure out what the
English version says because that's the binding version".  Or if
you've got the time and/or resources, you could do what the EU did
with the EUPL: be confident enough in the translations of the license
to include the ability to litigate under ANY translation.

--
Russ Nelson - http://community.cloudmade.com/blog - http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/User:RussNelson
russ at cloudmade.com - Twitter: Russ_OSM - http://openstreetmap.org/user/RussNelson