[OSM-legal-talk] OSM data grant

Tyler tyler.ritchie at gmail.com
Wed Jun 17 20:01:09 BST 2009

Hi Marc,
I am not a lawyer, and I don't speak with any authority on either the legal
implications of the license or on behalf of the OpenStreetMap Foundation.
And no part of this e-mail constitutes legal advice, talk to a lawyer
familiar with intellectual property law.

The data for OSM is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share
Alike 2.0 license (see: http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/License ),
currently. Which means that you are free to do whatever you like with the
data, print out maps and fold them into hats, give them to your family.
Derive works from them and use them in art (as Meg Scheminske has done with
Google Map's--though her use may not be legal--see:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/zachklein/3609217246/ .)

But you must attribute OpenStreetMap with their part of the data and make
note of the license they use. And more importantly the
resulting derivative work must be re-released with a Share Alike compatible
license. That is, there is nothing stopping you from Making a map and
selling it. But once people have that may they are free to make copies of
that map and use it however they see fit (printing it in a
book, plasticizing it and selling it, using it in a derivative art piece)
provided they too attribute your work (and that of OSM) and re-release their
product with a Share Alike compatible license

Read the full license at
http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.0/legalcode and see the
OpenStreetMaps Legal FAQ at http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Legal_FAQ

So my take on your situation is that you could use the OpenStreetMap data
just fine, but since you're a consultant whomever you are consulting for
would have to sign off on your end product being liberally licensed. I know
this would not work if you were making say wind resource maps for a company
planning to sell that data, but may be acceptable if you were making maps
for a non-profit company or public entity.

Best of luck,

-Tyler