[OSM-legal-talk] Todays (thurs) license working group call

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Sat Mar 7 00:40:05 GMT 2009

Hi,

Frederik Ramm wrote:
> Peter, Matt and others have done an excellent job at cleaning up and
> structuring the Use Cases page on the Wiki. I have read all of the use
> cases, made a few fixes, and I think they now sum up almost everything
> that is important to us

One thing I forgot. My whole interpretation of the ODbL is based on the
assumption that we have share-alike on interim databases used to create
Produced Works, as was the case in the previous license draft and is
explained in detail on

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Open_Data_License/Suggested_Changes#The_.22interim_derivative_database.22_problem

I think that there is broad consensus that the license needs to be fixed
in this respect and that this was just an oversight and not a deliberate
change.

In the light of this, it would be not very productive for the lawyer to
analyse the use cases based on the current wording of the ODbL, but he
should take into account that we intend to make this change. Otherwise
we will have to repeat the whole procedure after having made the change.

Bye
Frederik