[OSM-legal-talk] Todays (thurs) license working group call

Peter Miller peter.miller at itoworld.com
Sat Mar 7 11:14:15 GMT 2009

On 7 Mar 2009, at 00:30, Frederik Ramm wrote:

> I did something for which those who cleaned up Use Cases might hate
> me;
> I pulled in three major items from "Open Issues" into a new section
> called "Definitions" on the "Use Cases" page. They are not use cases
> proper, but reading the use cases I found that many of them, in one
> way
> or another, circled around the questions of the grey area between
> "what
> is derivative db/collected db", "what is derivative db/produced work"
> and "what is a substantial extract". All these questions were on the
> "open issues" page because they are open issues; but it is to be
> expected that they will be answered or the answer at least touched in
> response to many of the use cases.

Good idea Frederik.

I have been through the new section this morning and tried to sharpen
up the issues and give the lawyers less wriggle room. The main
distinction now between the main Use Cases section and this new
section is that the new section if specific to the ODbL license
(referring to legal terms in a particular version of the license) and
also to the technical implementation of applications.

I think it is useful to remember that the Use Cases are license
neutral - they make no mention to any license or legal terms, they
just describe what someone might want to do and if we would like them
to be able to do it. Lets keep it that way because we might want to
test the Use Cases against another license at some point if we get
into trouble with making the ODbL work.

Regards,

Peter