[OSM-legal-talk] License Telephone Debate

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Thu Mar 12 08:32:19 GMT 2009

Hi,

SteveC wrote:
> In the past couple of license working group meetings we've been trying
> to figure out how to get more input from the community on everything
> without descending in to a free-for-all.

Does that mean that what we've so far collected on the Wiki (and the
lists, and the co-ment site) is considered as having "descended" into a
"free-for-all" and thus by implication somehow worthless? (Still
struggling to see the negative in "free-for-all" but you seem to be
convinced that the license must not be discussed by "all".)

You say that "issues should be raised on IRC"; does that mean that you
only want to discuss *additional* issues that are not yet on the Wiki,
or are you basically requesting that people copy+paste the Wiki pages
into IRC if they want to affirm the importance of these issues? Or is
this more of a psychological exercise where Joe Mapper is allowed to
speak his mind and be heard to make him happy (in which case it would be
ok for 10 people in a row to say the same thing).

Has it occurred to the license working group that such a phone call will
naturally be dominated by native speakers of English? Is the signal you
are wanting to send something like "we're looking to implement a license
for the UK and the US only, and the rest may do what they please"?

Bye
Frederik