[OSM-legal-talk] License Telephone Debate

Nick Black nickblack1 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 12 08:55:27 GMT 2009

On Thu, Mar 12, 2009 at 8:32 AM, Frederik Ramm <frederik at remote.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> SteveC wrote:
> > In the past couple of license working group meetings we've been trying
> > to figure out how to get more input from the community on everything
> > without descending in to a free-for-all.
>
> Does that mean that what we've so far collected on the Wiki (and the
> lists, and the co-ment site) is considered as having "descended" into a
> "free-for-all" and thus by implication somehow worthless? (Still
> struggling to see the negative in "free-for-all" but you seem to be
> convinced that the license must not be discussed by "all".)

Frederick - really - take a step back and a deep breath.

At no point did anyone say that any questions that have been raised in the
past were "worthless".

For a second day in a row you're jumping straight in with abject criticism
of a process put in place by people working to help the whole community -
you included.  If you are that concerned about this, why not suggest a way
to make this work better?  Why not offer to translate for any German
speakers who would like to take part if the call was only in English?

I've always felt that you were completely aligned behind the aims of OSM -
we can disagree, but at the end of the day we're all here for the same
reason.  Right now, its really hard to find anything positive or
constructive in your ongoing bombardment of these lists.

> You say that "issues should be raised on IRC"; does that mean that you
> only want to discuss *additional* issues that are not yet on the Wiki,
> or are you basically requesting that people copy+paste the Wiki pages
> into IRC if they want to affirm the importance of these issues? Or is
> this more of a psychological exercise where Joe Mapper is allowed to
> speak his mind and be heard to make him happy (in which case it would be
> ok for 10 people in a row to say the same thing).
>
> Has it occurred to the license working group that such a phone call will
> naturally be dominated by native speakers of English? Is the signal you
> are wanting to send something like "we're looking to implement a license
> for the UK and the US only, and the rest may do what they please"?
>
> Bye
> Frederik

Nick Black
twitter.com/nick_b