[OSM-legal-talk] License Telephone Debate

Simon Ward simon at bleah.co.uk
Thu Mar 12 11:52:14 GMT 2009

On Thu, Mar 12, 2009 at 11:21:49AM +0000, Nick Black wrote:
> The purpose of the call on Saturday is to offer an additional channel of
> communication around the license - its intended to supplement the mailing
> lists and wiki

Thanks, that’s what I expected to hear.

> What I'd hope would come out of it is a clearer understanding of the process
> of the license change and some of the specifics around changing it.  Please
> see this as the Foundation doing everything we can to open up and engage
> with the community.

The Foundation could do more to engage with the community by
participating more in list discussion.

Hey, if the community directly gets answers, it might argue the price of
fish a little less.

> As for the language and timing, its a bit of a damned if you do, damned if
> you don't.  Its always 2am somewhere and the fact is that the majority of
> people involved with OSM are in the EU.  As Andy said, if there's enough
> demand we can host calls for other time zones.

Well, that’s just it:  You’re seeking ways to engage with the community,
yet placing the burden on them to represent themselves, asking them to
rearrange their schedules to participate in a call at a specific time.
That’s not helping members of the community trust the process any more
than before.

> As always, please let us know any constructive ideas.  So far there have
> been no constructive suggestions from people who are criticizing the call,
> for a better way to run this on this thread.

Active participation in the list.  Take part in the discussion threads,
give your opinions where you have them, answer questions if you have the
answers, etc.

Simon
simple system that works.—John Gall