[OSM-legal-talk] Legal review by ITO World's lawyer

Russ Nelson russ at cloudmade.com
Sun Mar 15 18:31:37 GMT 2009

On Mar 15, 2009, at 2:16 PM, Frederik Ramm wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Russ Nelson wrote:
>> I don't want a virus, but I like the reciprocal nature of these
>> licenses.
>
> Reciprocal is not the correct term IMHO. Reciprocal would mean that if
> you take our data you will have to give us something in return.

It refers to the fact that the license requires you to reciprocate.
Just as the license gives you rights, you must reciprocate by sharing
those rights with others.

No matter how wrong reciprocal might be, it can't be as wrong as
"viral".

--
Russ Nelson - http://community.cloudmade.com/blog - http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/User:RussNelson
russ at cloudmade.com - Twitter: Russ_OSM - http://openstreetmap.org/user/RussNelson