[OSM-legal-talk] Extent of share alike?

Iván Sánchez Ortega ivan at sanchezortega.es
Mon Nov 2 13:08:53 GMT 2009

El Lunes, 2 de Noviembre de 2009, David Vaarwerk escribió:
> However, my question is, how far does the share alike
> section of the Creative Commons licence go. I want to share the map data
> with OSM but not the other sections of the work.

Then you double-license the map data: one version goes OSM under CC-by-sa or
ODbL, the other version goes (c) into your guide. Share-alike does *not*
apply to your work, only to one distribution of your work.

Problems may arise only when you use already existing OSM data in your guide.
In this case, the share-alike component of either CC-by-sa or ODbL would
apply to the data set it is being put into. Most likely, you would have to
share alike all your geographical data. Both CC-by-sa and ODbL don't apply to
collections, so you don't have to share alike any databases that are separate
from the one containing OSM data.

Hope that helps,
--

http://ivan.sanchezortega.es
Proudly running Debian Linux with 2.6.30-1-amd64 kernel, KDE 3.5.10, and PHP
5.2.11-1 generating this signature.
Uptime: 13:57:29 up 7 days, 21:22,  3 users,  load average: 0.80, 0.72, 0.64