[OSM-legal-talk] Proper attribution

Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason avarab at gmail.com
Sun Oct 25 20:54:59 GMT 2009

On Tue, Oct 20, 2009 at 12:13 PM, Frederik Ramm <frederik at remote.org> wrote:
> Assuming for a moment that my contributions to OSM are copyrightable and
> the CC-BY-SA license is valid, then if I license my data CC-BY-SA I have
> the right to request anyone using my data, or building or using derived
> versions thereof, to provide attribution in the form I believe is
> required, and I can drag them to court if they don't.

No you don't. You've just given them permission to use your works
under a license which dictates that distributors must attribute you
within the limited scope demanded of them by the license. As long as
they're otherwise in compliance you have no right to demand additional
attribution not required by the license.