[OSM-legal-talk] Viral can be nice

Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason avarab at gmail.com
Wed Apr 21 13:52:26 BST 2010

On Tue, Apr 20, 2010 at 07:31, Frederik Ramm <frederik at remote.org> wrote:
> We *do* want to allow releasing produced works under PD. Note that we
> are talking produced works here, not the data istself!

Maybe you do. Personally I'm pretty fond of the feature we have now
where I know that any map that uses my CC-BY-SA data is freely
available to me under the same license.

I can see some of the negative aspects of that like integration with
other datasets (which have been discussed to death in the ODbL
debate).

Pretty much they only thing I've ever gotten out of OSM personally
(besides exercise and being able to use it on my GPS) is being able to
use the various map renderings by ITO World, CloudMade etc. under the
same free license as the data. All other things being equal I'd like
things to stay that way, but that's just me.

The discussion on the current issue of the week[1] seems to indicate
that at least some people share that view, or at least feel like being
pedantic in enforcing our current license. Even though they couldn't
enforce that if we'd move to the ODbL.

1. http://blog.oobrien.com/2010/04/nike-grid/