[OSM-legal-talk] Viral can be nice

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Wed Apr 21 16:42:10 BST 2010

Ævar,

> Pretty much they only thing I've ever gotten out of OSM personally
> (besides exercise and being able to use it on my GPS) is being able to
> use the various map renderings by ITO World, CloudMade etc. under the
> same free license as the data.

That may well be; but OSM is not, in its core, a project for drawing
pretty maps and share-aliking them. (I believe there's a task force on
Wikipedia that does this.)

> The discussion on the current issue of the week[1] seems to indicate
> that at least some people share that view, or at least feel like being
> pedantic in enforcing our current license.

Even I, not being a supporter of our current license, request that
people adhere to its terms; this is out of a basic demand for fair play.
I wish we didn't have these restrictive terms but now that we have them,
I expect everyone to play by them, and I too have written to people
reminding them of their obligations under CC-BY-SA.

This does not in any way allow the conclusion that I would be unhappy
about losing the opportunity to write license enforcement letters about
produced works once we've made the switch.

Bye
Frederik