[OSM-legal-talk] decision removing data

Anthony osm at inbox.org
Sat Aug 7 15:35:26 BST 2010

On Fri, Aug 6, 2010 at 1:57 PM, Jukka Rahkonen
<jukka.rahkonen at latuviitta.fi> wrote:
> I have been leading a team of digitizers tracing features from aerial images. I
> was doing everything I could to minimize the creative or artistic part of their
> work.

Good luck with that.  In any case, not all OSM ways are traced from
aerial images.

I don't really see how there's an argument.  If photoshop offers a
plugin that lets you draw a line with a certain thickness, a certain
color, and a label on it, and you use that photoshop plugin to make a
map, you've got a copyrighted work, and that copyright is owned by the
person who drew the lines (remember how maps were one of the first
works for which copyright was invented).  Another plugin lets you can
make filled polygons of various colors.  Why should it matter if you
substitue "mapnik" for "photoshop plugin"?