[OSM-legal-talk] decision removing data

SteveC steve at asklater.com
Mon Aug 9 23:11:39 BST 2010

On Aug 9, 2010, at 7:14 AM, Anthony wrote:
>> If that was you back then: Why should you request OSMF to "properly remove
>> all of your work" when at the same time you "have no problem with OSM using
>> my contributions in any way whatsoever"?
>
> IIRC, SteveC convinced me that my work should be sharealike a short
> time after I wrote that.  Also I read numerous arguments which
> convinced me that OSM is not just a factual database.  That was, I
> believe, one of my first posts to the list about the matter, and
> certainly before I realized what a bumbling mess this whole process
> was.

It's not a bumbling mess.

What's happening is very simple: The people on the LWG are too nice.

Every time someone comes up with either a issue with either the process or license, the LWG take time to address it.

I would estimate about 70 or 80% of these things are either bonkers, FUD or restatements of previous bonkers/FUD things.

Given that the LWG are all volunteers and meet once a week and there have been hundreds of these emails, rants and people on the call, that means they literally spend years at this point dealing with this stuff.

Thus, it slows everything down.

Oh and this and other threads going on right now are good examples. It's explicitly slowing down and complicating the process, which is probably the aim of several of the people here.

Steve

stevecoast.com