[OSM-legal-talk] Size of NearMap Contribution

Francis Davey fjmd1a at gmail.com
Fri Aug 20 09:25:37 BST 2010

On 20 August 2010 09:21, Frederik Ramm <frederik at remote.org> wrote:
> So you *need* CT in which the contributor basically signs over his data to
> OSMF who then make a database from it.

Has anyone given much thought to how this works for the sui generis
database right of the European Union? In other words, *does* the free
contribution of multiple items of data, not in themselves substantial
enough to form a database, give the person to whom they are
contributed (whatever that might mean) a database right in the sum?

I am wondering (as others have wondered) where the "substantial
investment" is? Sorry if this is the wrong place to ask the question.
I realise that you all have a team of lawyers who do/have thought
about all this and that is inherent in the ODBL but I am just curious.
It isn't obvious to me that this is simple.

--
Francis Davey