[OSM-legal-talk] Size of NearMap Contribution

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Fri Aug 20 09:55:41 BST 2010

Hi,

Francis Davey wrote:
> Has anyone given much thought to how this works for the sui generis
> database right of the European Union?

Certainly the EU hasn't, the whole database right is written for a world
where company X pays employees to gather data.

> I am wondering (as others have wondered) where the "substantial
> investment" is?

Fair question. I'd say the substantial investment lies in operating the
servers and generally rallying the community. I am certain that the
number of man-days invested by OSMF in its entirety (i.e. all working
groups, board, technical team etc.) is "substantial" compared even to
the most prolific individual mapper. But then again these people would
probably do what they do even if they were not the formal OSMF but just
a bunch of hackers!

Bye
Frederik