[OSM-legal-talk] New phrase in section 2

David Groom reviews at pacific-rim.net
Fri Dec 3 10:51:31 GMT 2010

---- Original Message -----
From: "Anthony" <osm at inbox.org>
To: "Licensing and other legal discussions." <legal-talk at openstreetmap.org>
Sent: Friday, December 03, 2010 12:10 AM
Subject: Re: [OSM-legal-talk] New phrase in section 2

> On Thu, Dec 2, 2010 at 6:42 PM, David Groom <reviews at pacific-rim.net> wrote:
>> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Anthony" <osm at inbox.org>
>>> I have no idea why it was actually put there, but one positive thing
>>> it does (besides nullifying the ODbL) is that it puts us all on an
>>> equal footing with OSMF.
>>
>> Could you :
>>
>> a) explain the above last paragraph; and
>> b) define "us"; is it OSM contributors, OSM data users, or some other "us"
>
> "Us" would be every party that receives a copy of OSM, contributors or
> non-contributors.  Under the proposed CT 1.2 (*), everyone who
> receives a copy of OSM has the same rights.  OSMF doesn't have special
> rights which the rest of "us" don't have.

I'm not sure that it is true that under the current (1.2) proposed CT's everyone has the same rights as OSMF.

Is it not the case that it is very probable that everyone else has MORE rights than OSMF.

Under section 2 "Rights granted. Subject to Section 3 and 4 below, You hereby grant to OSMF and any party that receives Your Contents a worldwide, royalty-free, ....etc"

OSMF is bound by sections 3 & 4, but these sections only apply to OSMF.

Therefore whilst OSMF's rights are limited, by agreeing to the CT's you grant everyone else a pretty much unlimited licence to your contributions.

David