[OSM-legal-talk] CT clarification: third-party sources

Anthony osm at inbox.org
Fri Dec 10 13:26:58 GMT 2010

On Fri, Dec 10, 2010 at 1:22 AM, Grant Slater
<openstreetmap at firefishy.com> wrote:
> OSMF would have to block 1000s [1] of contributors/mappers for a
> period of at least 10 months, stop them from creating new accounts and
> do this all without upsetting the rest of the contributors
> (electorate). While a theoretical, I simply do not see it happening.

But that's the current plan
(http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Open_Data_License/Implementation_Plan).
 PHASE 3 - Existing Contributor Mandatory Re-licensing (Phase 2 + 5 or
10 weeks).

Surely if it happens once, it'll happen again.  If OSM switches to CT
1.2 in 2011, then switches to CT 2.0 in 2012, then switches to CT 3.0
in 2013, people who agreed to CT 1.2 but not to CT 2.0 won't get a
chance to vote in 2013.

> OSMF would end up with a rapidly ageing dead copy of the database and
> we the contributors would move onto a new-OSM.

That might just be what happens.  But whenever someone says that, they
get accused of spreading FUD.