[OSM-legal-talk] Copyright Assignment

Anthony osm at inbox.org
Tue Jan 5 05:02:40 GMT 2010

On Mon, Jan 4, 2010 at 11:45 PM, Matt Amos <zerebubuth at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 4, 2010 at 11:25 PM, Anthony <osm at inbox.org> wrote:
> > On Mon, Jan 4, 2010 at 6:07 PM, Francis Davey <fjmd1a at gmail.com> wrote:
> >> What would be acceptable?
> >
> > The current situation is acceptable.  We all grant a license to everyone
> > under CC-BY-SA.
>
> which ranges from being basically PD in some jurisdictions to being a
> BY-SA license in others. so what would be acceptable *and*
> internationally applicable?

If by "internationally applicable" you mean having roughly the same effect
in all jurisdictions, the only thing I can think of that would be
"internationally applicable" would be CC0.  Even that would have some
differences in different jurisdictions, though, as some jurisdictions
outright contradict each other (in some jurisdictions you can't enforce
moral rights, in other jurisdictions you can't waive them).

I suppose CC0 would be acceptable, if everyone had to agree to it, including
the OSMF itself.  But I'd prefer copyleft.  I really don't want people
taking my contributions, adding to them, and then legally restricting me
from being able to use them.