[OSM-legal-talk] Copyright Assignment

Anthony osm at inbox.org
Tue Jan 5 05:08:44 GMT 2010

On Tue, Jan 5, 2010 at 12:02 AM, Anthony <osm at inbox.org> wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 4, 2010 at 11:45 PM, Matt Amos <zerebubuth at gmail.com> wrote:

>> > The current situation is acceptable.  We all grant a license to everyone
>> > under CC-BY-SA.
>>
>> which ranges from being basically PD in some jurisdictions to being a
>> BY-SA license in others. so what would be acceptable *and*
>> internationally applicable?
>>

> If by "internationally applicable" you mean having roughly the same effect
> in all jurisdictions, the only thing I can think of that would be
> "internationally applicable" would be CC0.

Although, for the most part, CC-BY-SA does have roughly the same effect in
all jurisdictions.  You can do whatever you want with the geodata, so long
as you don't legally restrict others from using the geodata you add.

In jurisdictions where geodata is protected, CC-BY-SA ensures that any
derivative works are under CC-BY-SA.  In jurisdictions where geodata isn't
protected, any geodata which is added to the work can't be legally
restricted from reuse anyway.