[OSM-legal-talk] Copyright Assignment

Matt Amos zerebubuth at gmail.com
Wed Jan 6 00:21:41 GMT 2010

On Tue, Jan 5, 2010 at 7:24 PM, 80n <80n80n at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 5, 2010 at 4:43 PM, Matt Amos <zerebubuth at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, Jan 5, 2010 at 10:04 AM, 80n <80n80n at gmail.com> wrote:
>> > The purpose of the share-alike principle is to enable derived work to be
>> > fed
>> > back into the main body.
>>
>> that's your opinion. my opinion is that the purpose of share alike is
>> to allow data to be remixed, mashed-up or otherwise modified as long
>> as it's available under the original license. feeding back is a side
>> effect which many projects (e.g: FSF) do perfectly well without.
>>

> Any share-however-you-like license has the properties you describe.  We're
> talking about share-alike here.

from the CC FAQ: "ShareAlike: You let people create remixes and
derivative works based on your creative work, as long as they only
distribute them under the same Creative Commons license that your
original work was published under." which is what i said.

> It may suit you, as a consumer of OSM data, to not give a damn about
> contributing back to the project, but that's not what OSM is about.

i'm both a producer and a consumer of OSM data. and i do care about
contributing back, which is why i'm volunteering my time to help
replace the broken license we currently have with one which works,
rather than behaving in a derogatory and uncivil manner on the mailing
lists.

cheers,

matt