[OSM-legal-talk] public transport routing and OSM-ODbL

Liz edodd at billiau.net
Thu Jul 8 13:44:59 BST 2010

On Thu, 8 Jul 2010, Oliver (skobbler) wrote:
> >But if you make a produced work (actually, if you "publicly
> >use" said produced work), then the derived database must be shared in
> >any case (4.4a and 4.4c).
>
> I think I you are right with the only limitation that the "sharing" is
> covered in 4.6 whereas 4.4 and 4.5 relate to the license that needs to be
> combined with DB.
>
> I have to admit that my interpretation seems to be wrong as I also thought
> that 4.4. and 4.5. were dealing with "sharing" while the actually "sharing"
> or "obligation to offer the database" is handled in 4.6.
>
> 4.6 Access to Derivative Databases. If You Publicly Use a Derivative
> Database or a Produced Work from a Derivative Database, You must also offer
> to recipients of the Derivative Database or Produced Work a copy in a
> machine readable form of: a. The entire Derivative Database; or

I read this and thought
"if we have people who have had lots of time to think about this proposed
licence change come to differing opinions on rather basic questions of how we
can use the data once its been put under this new licence
well who understands what it is good for?"

Anything this contrived and complex that the potential users can't sort it out
fails the usability test.

Liz