[OSM-legal-talk] using OSM on TV

Manuel Reimer Manuel.Spam at nurfuerspam.de
Sat Jul 10 20:43:43 BST 2010

visiontv at petml.com wrote:
> What's required of my customers? I'm hoping that if I attribute on my
> website and in my app that will be enough. Some broadcasters are
> hesitant of using attribution.

I've seen attribution on TV several times. Mostly for bigger companies
like Microsoft. Why should this be impossible with an open project like
openstreetmap?

In case that a broadcaster wants to send a picture with OSM data, he is
the person, who uses the data and so he is the person who has to do what
the license says.

The license says (http://www.openstreetmap.org/copyright/en):

| How to credit OpenStreetMap
|
| If you are using OpenStreetMap map images, we request that your
| credit reads at least “© OpenStreetMap contributors, CC-BY-SA”. If
| you are using map data only, we request “Map data © OpenStreetMap
| contributors, CC-BY-SA”.
|
| Where possible, OpenStreetMap should be hyperlinked to
| http://www.openstreetmap.org/  and CC-BY-SA to
| http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.0/. If you are using a
| medium where links are not possible (e.g. a printed work), we suggest
| you direct your readers to www.openstreetmap.org (perhaps by
| expanding ‘OpenStreetMap’ to this full address) and to
| www.creativecommons.org.

That's what the license says and noone here will be able to tell you
something else.

It's the job of the broadcaster to add this type of credit to his
publication! If you don't tell your customers, that they have to respect
the CC-BY-SA license, then what you do is to relicense data, you don't
own, under a different license to your customer.

> So much so as to flat out not use product
> requiring attribution. For example, some NBC affiliates won't use Google
> Earth due to the attribution requirements. That's why there are still
> mapping companies like Curious Maps.

You don't have to pay. Anything, you have to do, is to name the author
(openstreetmap.org contributors), so where is your problem? If your
customer prefers to pay for data, that doesn't need attribution, he
should pay for it.

You can't just take the openstreetmap.org data, without doing what the
license says. If you don't like the license, then please don't use the data.

> Some of these guys would rather pay than risk attributing an unknown product.

One idea behind attribution is, that openstreetmap.org gets a more known
project.

Yours

Manuel