[OSM-legal-talk] using OSM on TV

visiontv at petml.com visiontv at petml.com
Sun Jul 11 01:59:58 BST 2010

On Sat, 10 Jul 2010 21:43 +0200, "Manuel Reimer"
<Manuel.Spam at nurfuerspam.de> wrote:
> visiontv at petml.com wrote:
> > What's required of my customers? I'm hoping that if I attribute on my
> > website and in my app that will be enough. Some broadcasters are
> > hesitant of using attribution.
>
> I've seen attribution on TV several times. Mostly for bigger companies
> like Microsoft. Why should this be impossible with an open project like
> openstreetmap?

No one said it's impossible. Some broadcasters refuse to attribute so
they won't use OSM data or other products that require attribution like
Google Earth.

> In case that a broadcaster wants to send a picture with OSM data, he is
> the person, who uses the data and so he is the person who has to do what
> the license says.
>
> The license says (http://www.openstreetmap.org/copyright/en):
>
> | How to credit OpenStreetMap
> |
> | If you are using OpenStreetMap map images, we request that your
> | credit reads at least “© OpenStreetMap contributors, CC-BY-SA”. If
> | you are using map data only, we request “Map data © OpenStreetMap
> | contributors, CC-BY-SA”.
> |
> | Where possible, OpenStreetMap should be hyperlinked to
> | http://www.openstreetmap.org/  and CC-BY-SA to
> | http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.0/. If you are using a
> | medium where links are not possible (e.g. a printed work), we suggest
> | you direct your readers to www.openstreetmap.org (perhaps by
> | expanding ‘OpenStreetMap’ to this full address) and to
> | www.creativecommons.org.
>
> That's what the license says and noone here will be able to tell you
> something else.

That's not all it says. There is conflicting information. That's the
point of my post. If you go back to my original post you will clearly
see links I've referenced that pose much more liberal attribution
"requirements"; and I use the word requirement somewhat jokingly. The
information on the various OSM sites don't really provide clear
guidance. Some portions say you don't have to attribute on the map
itself and instead you can attribute in an acknowledgments section.
Other OSM sites state that if you use OSM data in a TV broadcast that
you do not even have to attribute on-air at all (which I find
incredible); in those instances you can simply attribute on the
affiliated web site. You'll have to forgive me for my confusion, but I
didn't create this mess. Now, perhaps I'm misreading this stuff. Anyone
with access to google can see what I'm referring to. I included this
information in my original post.

> It's the job of the broadcaster to add this type of credit to his
> publication! If you don't tell your customers, that they have to respect
> the CC-BY-SA license, then what you do is to relicense data, you don't
> own, under a different license to your customer.

Settle down pal. Know one said anything about hiding the fact we're
using OSM. That's the reason I'm posting here seeking clarification. I
want to be compliant. Sheesh.

> > So much so as to flat out not use product
> > requiring attribution. For example, some NBC affiliates won't use Google
> > Earth due to the attribution requirements. That's why there are still
> > mapping companies like Curious Maps.
>
> You don't have to pay. Anything, you have to do, is to name the author
> (openstreetmap.org contributors), so where is your problem? If your
> customer prefers to pay for data, that doesn't need attribution, he
> should pay for it.

There must be some kind of language barrier. I realize I don't have to
pay for OSM data. I was just using an example.

> You can't just take the openstreetmap.org data, without doing what the
> license says. If you don't like the license, then please don't use the
> data.

Geesh. I'm starting to regret I even posted. I hope this kind of
response isn't typical. I'm simply trying to be compliant and seeking to
promote OSM data. Please, forget I asked. No follow-up response from you
is desired.

My apologies to everyone if I come across as gruff. This guy just rubbed
me the wrong way.