[OSM-legal-talk] License Cut-over and critical mass

John Smith deltafoxtrot256 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 14 10:50:50 BST 2010

On 14 July 2010 19:25, Andy Allan <gravitystorm at gmail.com> wrote:
> However, I'd be interested in hearing what you think. Could you put
> some numbers on what would make you feel comfortable? I've tried such
> an exercise myself (and came to the same conclusions as the LWG in the
> end) but that doesn't stop you from having an answer, and it might
> help with constructive discussion here.

As you and others have pointed out, there is too many unknowns to make
an informed decision, instead of combining a contributor vote with a
change of license agreement, why not split this into 2 steps, ask
users to indicate if they agree with the change and then at some point
in future ask for contributors if they agree to actually change the
license.

This way we can do some proper modeling on how much data would be lost
in various regions before actually committing to changing over.