[OSM-legal-talk] License Cut-over and critical mass

Gervase Markham gerv-gmane at gerv.net
Thu Jul 15 16:13:11 BST 2010

On 15/07/10 03:27, Liz wrote:
> A majority of *contributors* have not voted, not even a majority of
> contributors who edited anything in the last year.
> Offering a vote to those who paid a fee in pounds or euros to belong to a
> particular organisation (OSMF) and ignoring the far larger group who were not
> offered a vote but actually are the legal copyright holders does not make a
> valid poll.

It makes it an entirely valid _poll_. Of course you can't relicense
without getting everyone's permission, but if you are determining the
direction of an organization, the people who you ask are those most
invested and involved.

Do you know of people who want to be OSMF members and yet genuinely
can't afford the £15 or whatever it is? I thought OSMF had mechanisms
for that, but if not, I'll happily step up and sponsor someone. How
about you?

Gerv