[OSM-legal-talk] License Cut-over and critical mass

Anthony osm at inbox.org
Mon Jul 19 21:20:19 BST 2010

On Mon, Jul 19, 2010 at 1:58 PM, SteveC <steve at asklater.com> wrote:

> On Jul 17, 2010, at 3:24 PM, Anthony wrote:
> > On Sat, Jul 17, 2010 at 3:04 AM, SteveC <steve at asklater.com> wrote:
> > On Jul 16, 2010, at 6:11 PM, Rob Myers wrote:
> > > Science Commons seem to think copyright doesn't apply to databases
> >
> > no they go much further, they say it "shouldn't" and that all databases
> "should" be PD.
> >
> > Just imaging if Creative Commons had been an organisation saying that
> copyright "shouldn't" apply to photographs or something, how far would they
> have got?
> >
> > That's a great strawman, Steve.
>
> Er, no, it's a totally valid comparison in the stands that SC and CC have
> taken.

And what's the comparison, exactly?  Geodata is nothing like photographs.
Furthermore, you seem to be incorrect about SC saying that copyright
shouldn't apply to databases or that all databases should be PD.  They have
said this about "informational databases, such as educational or scientific
database", but as far as I can tell, never about "all databases".

Your replies to my emails seem to be 'disagree with Steve for the sake of
> it' rather than having any content.

C'mon Steve, you've made a ridiculous comment and I called you out on it.