[OSM-legal-talk] Potential huge License violation - anyone know anything about this?

Phil Monger philm94 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 2 23:11:03 BST 2010

Frederick,

I appreciate your view on this. but I must passionately disagree.

"Collected works" is set up to allow multiple sets of data / licenses to
operate together under one "bound" work. For example, a book of collected
maps about London could include OSM as CC-BY-SA but in itself, as a
collection, remain (C) , and allow other maps to be (C) or other.

This is entirely derivative. The maps and route descriptions operate
together as *one piece of work* - indeed descriptions of the ways, place
names, distances, directions (ect) used in *the text* are taken from *the
mapping*. The text couldn't / wouldn't be there without the mapping, leaving
the entire thing as one piece of work, regardless of the fact the maps are
images, and the words are words.

You wouldn't take 12 songs under CC-By-SA, wrap them together in an album,
add cover art, add liner notes, change a couple of words in the songs, and
then be able to claim the entire CD is your copyright.

I don't think New Holland posting a message on a forum saying "Oh, gosh, is
that wrong? We won't do it again.." is a good enough answer. I can cite
examples of books and magasines getting into a LOT of mess for incorrectly
attributing stock images, so how should an entire book, written around the
premise that the maps are "free" be exempt from this license?

Surely .. SURELY the whole point of a CC-BY-SA license in the first place is
to *stop* someone taking it and using it in a proprietary media, and instead
encouraging people to "give something back" by making their re-use
re-useable? Or am I just tilting at windmills?

Phil