[OSM-legal-talk] ODbL Use Case: comparing OSM and proprietary data

James Livingston lists at sunsetutopia.com
Tue Jun 15 23:50:23 BST 2010

On 15/06/2010, at 7:24 PM, Frederik Ramm wrote:
> 2. create a data set derived from OSM with number of road kilometres in
> each tile

I'd argue that this step could be seen as creating a Produced Work not a derived database. Consider if you rendered a "heat map" of OSM where each pixel in the output contained a z18 tiles, and value of the pixel was equal to the number of roads in it. Similar to the ITOWorld heat maps of the where the edits have been.  Conveniently you can do the same for the other map data, and then just create a new image which is the difference of the two.

Would it still be a produced work if instead of storing it in an array (e.g. an image) you stored it as a list of <lat, lon, value> triples, say in a database? I've never managed to figure out where the seemingly arbitrary cutoff between Produced Work and Derived Database is.