[OSM-legal-talk] Using osm data + private data

Michael musset mickamusset at gmail.com
Tue Jun 22 14:33:42 BST 2010

On Tue, Jun 22, 2010 at 3:23 PM, Oliver (skobbler)
<osm.oliver.kuehn at gmx.de>wrote:

> >But the map of the industrial site is store in the same table/database as
> for osm data.
>
> I understand that you have a proprietary map of the industrial site. If you
> just "project" it on the OpenStreetMap data then you do not have to make it
> public. An analogy: The Yahoo satellite data are often projected on the
> OpenStreetMap data to capture map data. So far, the Yahoo satellite data
> have not yet  become public...
>
> It is a different story if you merge the industry site into OpenStreetMap
> database (using OpenStreetMap nodes and IDs). Sharing a physical database
> will not lead to the obligation of making it public. If you "draw" the
> Industrial site within a separate instance of OpenStreetMap and license it
> to anybody then you have to make the Industrial Site drawing publicly
> available.

But I don't plan to license it, because i know that it will never go
outside, the only people who can see my data is my client.
Of course we would like to merge openstreetmap nodes and IDs with ours, and
use mapnik to render both of them at the same time.

we can give money if it is a problem,