[OSM-legal-talk] Share alike

80n 80n80n at gmail.com
Thu Nov 18 13:01:43 GMT 2010

On Thu, Nov 18, 2010 at 11:11 AM, Richard Fairhurst <richard at systemed.net>wrote:

> 80n wrote:
> > You are not free to ignore the share-alike clause. You are simply
> avoiding
> > it by not publishing the combined work.
>
> The ever-unreliable dictionary on this Mac defines publish as "print
> (something) in a book or journal so as to make it generally known: we pay
> $10 for every letter we publish".
>
> You certainly are making the combined work known, and insofar as "print"
> can
> be interpreted as "displayed on a monitor" (you'd have thought Apple would
> ship a dictionary on their Macs that was written some time in the last 50
> years), it's spot on.
>
> Take the example at http://www.geowiki.com/halcyon/ : the combined work is
> OSM data (CC-BY-SA) and a map stylesheet. _But_ the map stylesheet does not
> have to be licensed as CC-BY-SA because the client (in this case, a Flash
> app) is doing the combining.

 I see the example.  Are you saying that this is a problem?  It looks
perfectly fine to me.

Perhaps a better example would be a mashup of POIs on an OSM map.  The POIs
are not tainted by the OSM license if the combination is done on the
client.  If the combination was done on the server and published then yes
they become tainted.  It's not great that there is such a distinction but
it's a clear and consistent rule and gives users of the content some options
without driving a coach and horses through the license.  I don't see what
your problem is with this.

> That's a feature of CC-BY-SA which
> can be used for the scenario you describe.

Yeah, I like features. Potlatch has about 300 features listed on trac. I
> might get round to fixing them one of these days.

I used the word feature deliberately and in the same sense that you did.
Perhaps it would be better to say that it's a characteristic of CC-BY-SA.
Certainly not an intentional one, but not one that anyone feels a desperate
need to fix.