[OSM-legal-talk] Best license for future tiles?

Rob Myers rob at robmyers.org
Thu Nov 18 13:45:22 GMT 2010

On 11/18/2010 01:32 PM, Ed Avis wrote:

>> If someone tries to launder or teleport ODbL data using produced works,
>> they should and will fail.
>
> Do you mean to say that the earlier statement is true - that it's not possible
> to produce truly public domain, unrestricted map tiles or printed maps from
> the ODbL data?

The question was about CC and public domain. I only answered the CC part
and I should have made that clear, sorry.

I don't know about PD. Ask odc-discuss. You could certainly produce BSD
or CC-BY maps.

> Or do you just mean that trying to trace from such maps would be a futile
> exercise, although not actually prohibited by law?

Jordan's explanations in these threads may be useful:

http://lists.okfn.org/pipermail/odc-discuss/2010-July/000275.html

http://lists.okfn.org/pipermail/odc-discuss/2010-August/000282.html

Please, please, please ask about PD on odc-discuss.

- Rob.