[OSM-legal-talk] Best license for future tiles?

Anthony osm at inbox.org
Fri Nov 19 13:43:19 GMT 2010

On Fri, Nov 19, 2010 at 6:24 AM, Ed Avis <eda at waniasset.com> wrote:
> Frederik Ramm <frederik at ...> writes:
>
>>>One thing I should point out, though, is that the ODbL does not *say*
>>>"you can make Produced Works and release them as CC-BY".
>>
>>I think it does, at least if taken together with DbCL as planned for OSM.
>
> As I understand it the DbCL only applies to the 'database contents'.  Could you
> explain what these 'database contents' are in the context of OSM, and how they
> differ from the 'database' itself?

I should also point out, in case it's not obvious, that Frederik
didn't address my point at all.  The ODbL does not *say* (i.e. contain
the text) "you can make Produced Works and release them as CC-BY".
Combined with the DbCL it might be the case that you can do so, but
the ODbL does not *say* you can do so.

That was, of course, the first point of a much larger argument, but I
find it strange that this particular preliminary point, which is
indisputable, was questioned.  Search the ODbL for the string "CC-BY".
 You won't find it.