[OSM-legal-talk] Best license for future tiles?

Rob Myers rob at robmyers.org
Fri Nov 19 14:47:41 GMT 2010

On 11/19/2010 01:43 PM, Anthony wrote:
>  The ODbL does not *say* (i.e. contain
> the text) "you can make Produced Works and release them as CC-BY".
> Combined with the DbCL it might be the case that you can do so, but
> the ODbL does not *say* you can do so.

It contains, in combination with the DbCL, the permissions required to
do so.

As I explained to you earlier in the year on this mailing list.

> That was, of course, the first point of a much larger argument, but I
> find it strange that this particular preliminary point, which is
> indisputable, was questioned.  Search the ODbL for the string "CC-BY".
>   You won't find it.

Search the ODbL for the string "proprietary licence".

You won't find it.

So if what Christine O'Donnell^D^D^Dyou are saying is correct the ODbL
doesn't allow you to make proprietary produced works either.

- Rob.