[OSM-legal-talk] License Use Case

andrzej zaborowski balrogg at gmail.com
Mon Nov 22 22:48:41 GMT 2010

Hi Xavier,

On 22 November 2010 22:03, Xavier Loiseau <xavier.loiseau at ijoinery.com> wrote:
> 1. You don't have to release what you haven't got. So if the only thing
> required for your application to work is the *location* then just store the
> location and not the address. You can still dump the address to a log file
> on input, in case you need to follow things up manually later, but if the
> only thing in your database is the location then that's all you have to
> release.
>
> I think that having to publish locations (latitudes & longitudes) is
> equivalent to having to publish addresses
> since a location can be converted into an address and vice versa.
> Therefore, having to publish locations instead of addresses does not protect
> the privacy.

Sorry, I had understood previously that the pictures would be
published and you wanted to keep the addresses private.  If this is
not the case then I don't see much problem, you don't have to publish
any new data to anyone, you can make the location available to just
the user who submitted the picture -- there's no need to publish this
information to any other users because each user's account could
equally well live in a separate database.  Although I may be
misunderstanding the issue again.

Cheers