[OSM-legal-talk] Database and its contents

Rob Myers rob at robmyers.org
Thu Nov 25 13:56:54 GMT 2010

On 11/25/2010 01:33 PM, ce-test, qualified testing bv - Gert Gremmen wrote:

> That is turning reality upside down.
 >
> The only reason
> for any license is to restrict any user of data/map/dbase or
> whatever the license is for.

The licence only restricts those people who would restrict others.
Specifically it restricts them from imposing further restrictions. Which
means that, in total, there are fewer restrictions.

> Make us a list of license articles that do NOT limit
> the potential user, but stimulate him to invent new
> applications without any restrictions.

All those that allow and guarantee the availability and use of the data.

> (putting restrictions = limiting freedom IMHO )

Then preventing restrictions is protecting freedom. :-)

>> And I'm not sure OSM(F) is either unwilling or unable to challenge
>> licence breaches in court.
>
> Who's gonna pay : Microsoft ?

Well, Bing. ;-)

- Rob.