[OSM-legal-talk] CT, section 3

Robert Kaiser kairo at kairo.at
Fri Nov 26 15:37:53 GMT 2010

Olaf Schmidt-Wischhöfer schrieb:
> I know that this thought experiment is absurd. I generally trust the OSFM to
> do the right thing. But I would be far more comfortable with being able to
> opt-out of any license change that I consider problematic.

How do you think that can work in practice? We are editing data all the
time that has come in by the way of someone else, and changed by yet
someone else. It's not "your", "my", or "his" data, from the moment of
contribution on, it's "our" data in terms of "the OSM project". If you
can opt out of a (future) license change, then IMHO the only reasonable
way if by not contributing any more data under the other license, but
you have already given away any data before that point, you don't own it
any more, and you shouldn't be able to prohibit the project from using
it any more.

Robert Kaiser