[OSM-legal-talk] OS Opendata & the new license

Grant Slater openstreetmap at firefishy.com
Thu Sep 16 20:25:06 BST 2010

On 16 September 2010 19:29, Dave F. <davefox at madasafish.com> wrote:
>  On 16/09/2010 16:43, Robert Whittaker (OSM) wrote:
>>
>> If it isn't will this mean previous traced/imported Opendata will have to
>> be removed?
>> If the incompatibilities in the licenses / CTs are not resolved before
>> the OSM license change goes ahead, then as far as I can see, the only
>> option would be to remove all OS OpenData derived mapping from OSM.
>
> This saddens me.
>
> I find it hard to conceive that members of OSM were lobbying the
> OS/Government to release data for public use, whilst at the same time (by
> the same people?) creating a new license that's incompatible with it.

This clashes with the legal advice giving to the Licensing Working
Group in that OS OpenData's license _is_ compatible with ODbL and the
Contributor Terms. Specifically section 4 of the Contributor Terms
provides a mechanism for attribution.

I have asked Robert if he could share the email with the LWG, it would
be interesting to see the question asked and the full legal reasoning.

Regards
 Grant