[OSM-legal-talk] OS Opendata & the new license

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Wed Sep 29 18:19:04 BST 2010

Hi,

Dave F. wrote:
> As I asked you before, will I be able to use this data under the
> proposed new regulations?

Why, of course! You will be able to use OS OpenData under the rules they
come under. This is completely independent of OSM. Even if OSM's and
OS's licenses were totally incompatible that would not reduce the
usefulness of one or the other. If you mean "use this (OS) data to
create new objects in OSM", please don't!

I utterly, totally, fail to understand why one would want to copy OS
data into OSM. If you think that OS data is good for you, just draw your
map from OS data. If you would like OS data for your base map but
cycleways from OSM - go ahead, it's a simple matter of rendering rules.

There is a near infinite amount of free geodata on this planet, believe
it or not; there is no way that OSM will ever be able to import all of
this - and why should we?

Bye
Frederik