[OSM-legal-talk] A legal question

Simon Biber simonbiber at yahoo.com.au
Sat Apr 16 14:55:21 BST 2011

Hi Eldad,

It sounds like your meta data is derived from the OSM map data, in which case it must be licensed as CC-BY-SA.

This doesn't mean you have to actively contribute it back to the community. You can restrict access or allow users to set up access controls on your website.

But if someone who does have access to the work decides to copy it and make it publically available, you can't prevent them from doing so. The CC-BY-SA license gives anybody that freedom.

Kind regards,
Simon.